WELLINGTON firefighters raced to battle an inferno which ripped through a pub’s annexe building.

Fire control was alerted to a blaze in Brean on the morning of Thursday, May 9, with crews from Burnham on Sea, Bridgwater and Cheddar first on the scene.

Firefighters soon called for additional support, as the fire began to rip through the roof of the building, which functioned as a storeroom and office for the Beachcomber pub.

Fire engines from Taunton, Wells and Street joined the effort as they set about isolating the electrics and taking on the fire with hoses.

But at 12.25am fire crews determined more assistance would be needed, with crews from Glastonbury and Somerton dispatched in support.

The fire, which was pictured billowing black smoke into the sky, resulted in police closing the road - and yet more fire fighters descending on the blaze to extinguish it, with crews from Wellington, Chard Patchway and Avonmouth being called at 1pm.

Firefighters got to work on the ground and from ladders, as they stripped back roof tiles and hosed down the building.

Relief crews were called at 2.42pm with additional fire fighters from Wellington arriving on the scene, joined by colleagues from Castle Cary, Chard, Frome, Bridgwater and Ilminster.

By 3.30pm the fire had been largely defeated, with crews inspecting the building on the ground and by drone, with fire fighters declaring the blaze was extinguished at 4.40pm - though they remained on the scene until late evening and revisited the site to ensure there was no further danger of the flames reigniting.

The fire service determined the fire was caused by accident.

In a statement the Beachcomber owners expressed their gratitude to the hardworking firefighters. Taking to social media, they said: “Thank you everyone for your support and well wishes following the fire in our building behind The Beachcomber.

“The fire-damaged annexe building was our office and storage space. As the pub building itself was not affected, we are able to re-open The Beachcomber on Friday, May 10, from 5pm.

“Food, drinks and live entertainment are all going ahead as normal. We look forward to seeing you all. A huge thank you goes to the fire crews who attended to put out the blaze yesterday. Absolutely outstanding work. Thanks also to all Warren Farm and Beachcomber staff for their help and support.”

Burnham-on-sea.com reported an eyewitness saying how fire crews fought hard to prevent the blaze spreading to an adjacent Grade II-listed Manor House. Speaking to Burnham-on-Sea.com, Ian Edwards, said: “The flames quickly spread through the roof and the crews have been doing amazing work trying to avoid the fire spreading to the manor house next door.”

Crews from a total of 13 separate fire stations were called to the blaze, which resulted in the annexe roof appearing to be almost completely destroyed. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Unfortunately the building was severely damaged and the cause was ascertained as being accidental.”