FIRE Fighters raced to the scene of a blaze after a tealight burned through a chest of draws before causing ‘multiple explosions.’

Crews from Wiveliscombe and Wellington were called to a property last week, after a series of explosions caused structural damage.

The fire brigade said the blaze had started as a result of a tealight being set atop a plastic chest of draws. The small candle reportedly burned through the draws, which contained a number of aerosol cans.

The aerosol cans subsequently exploded, and appeared to have fired out from the draws, blasting holes in the walls and ceiling of the home on the outskirts of Wellington. No one was hurt in the incident.

Issuing guidance on the safe use of candles, a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue said: “Be mindful of these safety measures when also using joss sticks, oil and incense burners. are sure you have working smoke alarms in your home.

“Do: Make sure that candles are placed in a fire-resistant candle holder. Keep candles away from furniture and curtains. Leave at least 10cm between burning candles and tea lights.

“Put out candles before leaving the room and before you go to bed. Use a snuffer or spoon to put out candles. Keep candles, matches and lighters away from children and pets.

“Don’t: Put candles under shelves or in enclosed spaces. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Don’t blow out candles, it can send sparks and hot wax flying. Don’t move a candle when it is lit.”