RETIRED carpenter Noel Thorpe died at his home in Wellington as a result of exposure to asbestos during his working life, an inquest heard.
Rutland-born Mr Thorpe, aged 88, lived in Lower Westford and died from a form of lung cancer on March 12 this year.
He was pre-deceased by his wife Wendy Thorpe, who was a retired bookkeeper.
Somerset senior Coroner Samantha Marsh, sitting in the Old Municipal Buildings, Taunton, heard Mr Thorpe had been a cabinet maker and carpenter until retirement.
Mrs Marsh was told Mr Thorpe suffered mesothelioma caused by occupational exposure to asbestos during his employment as a carpenter.
She concluded his cause of death was due to the industrial disease mesothelioma.