A ‘TRAVELLER’ incursion in Wellington was cleared on Wednesday (May 20) after a heavy police presence backing up specialist bailiffs saw the caravan dwellers move on.
The ‘travellers’ had taken over a field off Hoyles road late on Sunday after steel bollards protecting the site from vehicles had been removed.
Bristol company GRC Group was commissioned by the town council to start eviction procedures on Monday but the ‘travellers’ refused to budge.
Some caravans did leave, but later returned, while others continued to arrive despite the presence of the bailiffs.

Then, on Wednesday morning, dozens of police officers were seen on the site and the caravans started to leave and the field was cleared by lunchtime.
Piles of rubbish, mostly in bags, were left around the field, which was churned up by vehicles leaving the site.
One near-neighbour of the site told the Wellington Weekly: “It seemed like once the police were there it suddenly got more serious and they left quite quickly.
“It looks like they have left quite a mess behind them.
"This has been an uncomfortable time for many of us.
“The field was only recently cut by the local council and was looking at its best.
“It is a regular spot for dog walkers, but not many ventured onto the field while the 'travellers' were there.
“Thankfully we have got our field back.
“Nobody seems to know why they chose this field.
“It is surrounded on all sides by housing."
A council spokesperson said: “We are pleased to report that the travellers have now left the site.
“GRC staff are remaining on site until it is secured and our open spaces team will be going to the site shortly to start clearing up.
“Thank you for your patience while this has been dealt with.”
The council is also working with GRC on measures which may be needed to secure other green spaces across Wellington to prevent a repetition of the incursion elsewhere.



Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.