EVICTION proceedings were said to have begun on Tuesday morning (May 19) to remove ‘travellers’ who invaded a green field in Wellington at the weekend.
The town council has employed a specialist firm of bailiffs to clear the field, which is off Hoyles Road between Webbers Close and Oakfield Park.
A council spokesperson said: “We can confirm that GRC are on site this morning and working through the eviction process with those on site, which may take some time.
“We would ask that people stay away from the site to allow them to do their work and to minimise any risk from moving vehicles.”
However, by mid-day there had not been any noticeable movement and about a dozen caravans and caravanettes could still be seen on the green.
One nearby resident told the Wellington Weekly: “I have not seen any signs of movement there except for kids playing.”
The resident said there now appeared to be even more ‘travellers’ on site than when the bailiffs first served notices on Monday.
The council is also urgently reviewing security at all its open spaces across Wellington to prevent any further incursions elsewhere.
It noted that steel bollards which had prevented vehicle access to the Hoyles Road green had been removed some time before the ‘travellers’ arrived on Sunday afternoon.





Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.