WELLINGTON suffered their first defeat in the Bristol/Somerset division of the West of England Premier Cricket League when they went down by an agonising three runs against Midsomer Norton at the Playing Field on Saturday.

Having chosen to field and bowled out the opposition for 152, Wellington never got to grips with a target of just over three runs an over. Normally they have at least one player who comes to the rescue, but on this occasion, there was no such player.

At the end of the day, Wellington simply did not bat well enough. Like their opponents, they made a slow but positive start but there was no-one who could make a big innings and take the pressure off the batters.

However, they will have been disappointed with the result, especially after gaining such a fine victory at The Convent Field only eight days earlier.

Batting did not appear a problem early on as Midsomer Norton's openers Paul Robbins and Martin Cox put on 46 before Wellington skipper Arron Campbell trapped Cox lbw for 20.

Robins was joined by Harrison Veale and he did not last long, being bowled by Toby Stirzaker for one - the score having moved on to 61. Wellington struck again two runs later, having Jushua Rodd caught by Alex Sparks for a duck.

Robbins, however, was still batting sensibily and he had moved on to 43 from only 44 balls during an hour-long stay before Campbell claimed his third victim - caught by Luke Desave.

The visitors moved on from 83-4 to 96-5 before losing two wickets in adding just one run. Chris Hampshire was out for five and Nick Pang for 14, both being snapped up by Sri Lankan Sachindu Colombage - his first league wickets since arriving at the club.

The visitors continued to struggle and Callum Harvey had scored only nine when he was another of Campbell's victims, with the score now on 105 for 7.

It quicky became 109 for 8 when John Carroll was bowled by Colombage for four, leaving Midsomer Norton in all sorts of trouble.

The tail began to wag though and Morgan Skipp and Neil Brooks halted a complete collapse.

The pair put on 37 runs for the ninth wicket, showing batting was possible, before Brooks was out lbw to Colonbage for ten stubborn runs.

This left Skipp and G Wilson at the crease and they added only six before Skipp was out for 27, caught by George Ruell off the bowling of Stirzaker.

The visitors finished on 152 all out off only 26.3 overs - it could have been even worse. Their innings lasted under two hours.

Wellington used only four bowlers with Campbell finishing his ten-over spell with 4-55, having done the damage early on. Colombage took 4-25 in seven overs and Stirzaker 2-41.

Everything looked set up for another Wellington success and their openers Nathan Roberts and George Ruell batted cautiously - and with good reason.

Ruell was the first wicket to go down, caught for 15 off 36 balls with the score on 39.

Campbell joined young Roberts and the pair had added only seven before Roberts became the second wicket to fall, being caught and bowled by Calllum Harvey.

Campbell (1) soon followed with 53 scored, and a decent stand was now required from Alex Sparks and Jacob Hurry.

However, Hurry (16) departed at 72-4, Callum Hendy for 20 at 109-5, Sparks (29) 115-6, Colombage (13) 133-7, Andy Hurry (1) 135-8, Desave (6) 137-9, and new boy Richard Sharples (4) 149 all out.

Robbins capped a fine day with 4-47, while Harvey took 3-29. Wellington collected six points and Midsomer Norton 20.