THE pitch was heavy and didn't favour fast running rugby which the Wellington lads prefer to play - but this did not prevent the visitors from pulling off a fine victory at Brickfields.

The match kicked off under dark skies and the first half became a battle of attrition seeing Wellington pinning Albion down in the own half for long periods. But credit to the Albion defence they held Wellington out until just before half time when after a period of hard driving play with some great ruck ball scrum half Dan Cooke fed to ball to captain and No8 Archie Elliott who broke through two close quarter tackles to dive over the white wash just wide of the posts. Fly half Tom Heggadon stepped and kicked the extras.

The second half started pretty much as the first had finished , with Wellington going through the phases and trying to work the ball wide and run plays but the pitch became a mud bath as the heavens opened and the rain descended.

Wellington pressure started to tell and sadly Albion had a flanker dismissed for punching a Wellington player off the ball. Wellington continued to pressure and were awarded a penalty 35m out . Tom Heggadon stepped up to slot a fine kick to take the three points making the score 10 to 0 to Wellington.

The Last 15 saw both sides going hammer and tongs at each other, Wellington repelling some strong attacks by Plymouth, many last ditch tackles denying Albion tries. In the last minutes of the game after a number of infringements by Albion in there own half saw a penalty awarded to Wellington 30m out wide of the posts . Tom Heggadon stepped up again to make the kick of the match to slot the penalty making the score Wellington 13 , Albion 0.

In the dying minutes of the game some fine line kicking kept Albion pinned in their own half. The final whistle went seeing Wellington take the honours with a 13 to 0 victory on the road.

Wellington RFC coaches observed this wasn't the most attractive game of rugby, but were impressed with the manner the lads played . Strong defence turned into attacking opportunities and some intelligent play by fly half Tom Heggadon's boot closed the game out in the second half . The whole team displayed some great game management to secure can important win.

Wellington RFC would like to thank Plymouth Albion RFC for laying on some great hospitality, facilitating grand stand seats for the lads to watch National 1 side Albion take on Cinderford in a league game. Superb day of rugby all round.

We will focus on our next challenge taking on league leaders Exmouth RFC Colts at home on Saturday (KO 2.30pm.).

Hugh Barrett